If you are like most people, you do not have time to perform an extensive skin care routine each day.
However, if you get the basics right, you can still enjoy healthy and beautiful skin. Making the right lifestyle choices and using the right products promote skin health and prevent premature ageing.
There are five main tips to follow to have amazing skin.
1. Sun Protection
The sun is one of the most damaging things for your skin so it is critical that you always use proper sun protection.
When you get too much sun exposure, it is common to experience age spots, wrinkles and other skin issue. Of course, this also puts you at risk for skin cancer.
Follow these steps to protect your skin from the sun:
- Between 10:00am and 2:00pm, make sure to stay out of the sun because it is strongest during these hours.
- Always use a broad spectrum sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 15 to ensure the right level of protection. Reapply your sunscreen often if you are out in the sun, especially if you are sweating or in water.
- Wear the right clothing to protect your skin from the sun, including tightly woven fabrics and wide-brimmed hats. There are some products that you can use when you are washing your clothing to add some extra protection to your clothing because they work to block UV rays.
2. Do Not Smoke
Smoking is a major culprit when it comes to premature ageing and skin problems. This is due to the tiny blood vessels getting narrow right under your skin, resulting in less blood flow to the area. When this occurs, your skin does not have the nutrients and oxygen that it needs for optimal health.
Smoking also causes elastin and collagen damage, reducing the elasticity and strength of your skin. When you smoke, the inhalation process can cause lines around your mouth that get worse with time.
Quitting smoking is critical for skin health. Your doctor can help you to quit the habit.
3. Be Gentle with Your Skin
When it comes to things like shaving and cleansing, using the wrong products and techniques can wreak havoc on your skin.
Use the following tips to protect your skin:
- Do not take long baths or showers. When you bathe, never use hot water because this causes skin dryness.
- Be careful when you shave and always use a lubricating skin cream. Make sure that the razor you use is clean and sharp.
- Always moisturise your skin using products that work for your skin type. An SPF moisturiser is ideal because it helps to provide additional sun protection.
- Never use soaps that are strong because these can dry out your skin. Always use mild soaps to maintain moisture.
- Never rub your skin dry. Always gently pat your skin to preserve skin moisture.
4. Follow a Healthy Diet
A healthy diet is critical for optimal health, including the health of your skin. Get a variety of vegetables, leans proteins, whole grains and fruits. Avoid unhealthy fats and processed foods, and make sure that you get more vitamin C.
5. Control Your Stress
Stress does a number on your skin, causing breakouts and premature ageing.
It is important that you use techniques to keep your stress under control so that it does not affect your skin. Change your schedule and let go of stressors in your life for better skin.