Wrinkles under the eyes are not uncommon since the eye area tends to age first.
When you have wrinkles under your eyes, it ages your whole face even if you do not have wrinkles elsewhere. You want to give this area a little extra love and attention to reduce current wrinkles and prevent new ones so that you can look as young as you feel.
There are products and ingredients that do work and you want to choose the one that works best with your schedule, your budget, your skin type and the depth of the wrinkles that you have.
Understanding Why Wrinkles Under the Eyes Occur
To know how to best get rid of wrinkles under the eyes, you need to understand how and why they occur.
The smile lines and crow’s feet that affect this area are largely due to a decrease in elastin and collagen proteins. When these proteins are reduced, the skin starts to lose is elasticity and plumpness which leads to thinner skin and wrinkling.
The skin in this area is already delicate, so this further increases its vulnerability to the signs of ageing and makes it more prone to wrinkling and dark circles.
Lasers are commonly used to alleviate wrinkles under the eyes. They work by encouraging the production of new collagen by causing minor trauma to the area. Fractional CO2 lasers are typically the most common type for this area.
In general, it takes more than one treatment to achieve optimal results with a laser.
Fillers and Injections
Dermal fillers and Botox are an option for the under eye area for smoothing out the skin and decreasing the look of wrinkles.
Fillers immediately plump the skin in the area so that wrinkles are not as noticeable. They can last up to two years, depending on the filler that you choose.
Botox relaxes area muscles so that they do not cause wrinkling. They cause a reduction in under eye wrinkles over a period of about three to five days. The results typically last for up to six months.
Whether you use a filler or Botox, you will need repeated treatments to maintain your results.
There are a number of natural options that may be helpful for relieving wrinkles in this area. These include:
- Pineapple juice: This helps to exfoliate the skin and it naturally contain alpha hydroxyl acid.
- Castor oil: Castor oil is highly moisturising, reducing the risk of dryness causing wrinkles or making them worse.
- Cucumbers: Cucumbers nourish the sensitive skin in this area to improve its health, hydrate and make wrinkles less noticeable.
- Ginger and honey: Combine natural honey and fresh ginger to improve blood circulation, reduce wrinkles and hydrate the area under the eyes.
- Avocado: This food has a high level of healthy fats to fight against wrinkles. They also help to reduce dark circles.
- Egg whites: Egg whites help to tighten the skin. This reduces the look of wrinkles and puffiness under the eyes.
When you are ready to treat the wrinkles under your eyes, make sure that you really research the products that you are considering.
You want to make sure that you get the most for your money by choosing a product that is going to give you the results that you want. You also want your chosen product to improve the overall health of your skin so that wrinkles are less likely to continue occurring in this area.
If you are not sure about where to start, talk to your dermatologist for product and ingredient recommendations.