0

Is Your Diet Causing Acne?

Is Your Diet Causing Acne?

When it comes to diet and acne, you hear many things, including debates about whether or not your diet even plays a role.

It is known that your skin needs certain nutrients for optimal health and that it is most beneficial to get these nutrients from your diet.

However, research also shows that eating the wrong things can have a negative impact on your skin. It is important that you know what to avoid and what to eat to provide your skin with the essentials and to prevent eating things that may contribute to acne.

How Diet and Your Skin Are Related

Acne is a medical condition associated with skin cell turnover. When someone has acne, this turnover is not happening at the proper rate, resulting in blocked pores and oil glands.

The blockages result from sebum and protein getting trapped. The P. acnes bacteria feeds on the trapped oils and proteins, resulting in acne.

When it comes to your diet, this affects your vulnerability to acne by about 25 percent, with the other 75 percent stemming from things like sleep, stress, the environment, your skincare habits and hormones.

While there are no foods that are proven to prevent or cure acne, eating a diet that is low in junk foods, processed foods, bad fats and sugar is the best way to ensure healthy skin. It is also important to get all of the nutrients necessary for optimal skin health.

Foods that May Improve Acne

There are foods that may improve acne due to containing nutrients that are critical for overall skin health. When you are working toward creating an anti-acne diet, consider adding the following foods to your menu:

Low-fat dairy products

Dairy products that are low in fat contribute to a glowing and clear complexion. They contain vitamin A, a nutrient that is critical for the health of your skin cells.

Antioxidant fruits

Fruits that are high in antioxidants, such as blackberries, strawberries, blueberries and plums are ideal for clear skin. Free radicals damage skin cells and can affect the rate of turnover, resulting in a higher risk of acne.

Omega-3 fatty acids

While unhealthy fats are something you want to avoid, healthy fats are critical for healthy skin. Get these fats by eating plenty of salmon, canola oil, walnuts and flaxseed.

Selenium

This is a trace mineral that protects the health of your skin cells and promotes healthy turnover. Foods that contain this nutrient include whole wheat bread, tuna and turkey.

Water

You surely know that hydrated skin is healthy and it also promotes healthy skin cells, reducing the risk of acne.

Foods that May Worsen Acne

There are certain foods that may promote acne due to causing issues like inflammation.

When you are creating a diet to fight against this skin problem, make sure that you are strictly limiting the following:

  • Full-fat dairy
  • Sugar
  • Soy products
  • Coconut oil
  • White bread and pasta

The best way to keep your skin clear and healthy is to eat a balanced diet that is high in nutrients.

Strictly limit the foods that may cause acne to reduce your risk of breakouts.

While your diet appears to play a major role in acne, it is also important that you take care of your skin topically. Make sure to cleanse twice daily and never go to bed with dirty skin. Use a good moisturiser daily and avoid products that can irritate your skin, especially if you already have breakouts.

To put it simply, a healthy diet and a good skincare regimen is the best way to achieve clear skin.

XYZ Banner

Save

Speak Your Mind

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

I J Jenkins owner of skincarehelp.co.uk earn commissions as an affiliate marketer for recommending products on this website; we hope this disclosure will demonstrate our intent to run an honest and reputable business.

For more information, please visit the consumer education portal.

Affiliate Disclosure